Thursday, January 7, 2010

Who'd a thunk it?

So on a whim and honestly thinking they'd NEVER except me as a foster, I sent out an email, explaining my situation.
If you haven't found a foster for your mama dog yet, let me tell you a bit about myself and my family and see if we may be able to help.

"I have a 5 year old son, and 2 Akita's, my dog's are not aggressive but more than likely to avoid ANY problems my choice would be segregation if we were to foster for you. I have a home that's very easily sectioned off and would be willing to do so. My son will be home for break and then back in pre-school in January, his father is a retired New York City fireman and is home all the time, I work 2 to 4 days a week. We own our home and have a fenced in back yard.
I've had Shepards before and have also had puppies a time or two (well my dogs did :)) I grew up in the Midwest and have seen pups, kittens, pigs, cows, sheep and horses born, as a matter of fact I had a kitten born on my lap....a whole other story...
I have cared for puppies abandoned so young I had to bottle feed formula every 2 hours.
I've volunteered at shelter's and rescue's in the past and both of my current dogs are rescue dogs, the male, Kodiak, was terribly abused, broken bones, smashed jaw and crushed eye socket, I've had him since he was 9 months, he's 6 now, the girl, Kirby, was born deaf, has bad hips, blind in one eye and has almost no teeth from a lack of enamel she was surrendered to the rescue I volunteered for as a pup, so we've had her since she was 9 weeks old, she's 7 now.

Because of the dogs and my son, we are probably not your first choice, BUT we are a loving and safe family, there is always someone home and we have experience with large dogs, including litters of pups, and if it comes down to it, maybe we could help you out, at least let her feel safe and loved while she has her pups. Watching something brought into this world is amazing and I'd feel blessed to let my son experience the wonder of it.

Thanks-
Jennifer"

So knowing a thing or two about rescues, I'm thinking my chances are slim to none!! I have a young child(kid's and dogs what am I thinking)
I have 2 large dogs that many consider to be a dangerous breed (one of those kind)
I've allowed mutts to be born (utoh backwoods)
Keeping the dog seperate from the others (practically prison)
So I went to bed confident that I'd done my part in offering but I'd never hear back from them again...at least not anything I wanted to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment